What is Solvent Ink?
Solvent Ink Components
The term “Solvent ink” is used to describe any ink that is not made with a water base. Instead, solvent ink consists of 3 main components:
- The oil-based carrier fluid/solvent
- The pigment.
- The resin.
Solvent Ink Printing Process
The oil-based carrier/solvent portion of the ink forms a chemical bond between the solvent ink and the substrate being printed.
Once the printer jets the ink on the surface of the substrate, the solvent portion is then cured by air or more quickly and commonly through heat.
After all the solvent is gone, the pigment left behind is a hardened long-lasting shell.
The Best Media for Solvent Ink
The most popular substrates for solvent inks to be printed on include:
- Other non-absorbent materials.
Large Format Solvent Ink Applications
Due to its fade resistant and water proof nature, solvent ink applications are used to create:
- Vinyl Stickers
- Out-door Signage
- Vehicle Wraps and more!
Large Format Solvent Ink Facts
- There are two main types of solvent inks. Hard solvent inks that dry relatively quickly and are very durable, and eco-solvent inks that dry slowly but are viewed as a more environmentally friendly choice as it has relatively low Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC)
- There are several different solvent inks on the market that use different kinds of oil-based solvents as carrier fluids.
- Solvent inks are toxic due to their VOC content and require proper ventilation system for operation as they contain harmful components that may cause extreme illness or death if contact is made with the body.
- Solvent ink will typically resist scratching or fading for five to seven years with the right finishing materials and protective coatings.
- Certain Solvent Inks are corrosive in nature and require regular maintenance and cleaning to prevent clogged print heads.
Common questions about Solvent Ink
Q: Is Solvent Ink Waterproof?
A: Solvent Ink is waterproof. Due to its oil-based component, it cannot be dissolved by water.
Q: Is solvent ink toxic/health risks?
A: Yes, Solvent Ink’s VOC components are toxic and pose a serious threat to human health.
Q: Is solvent ink water-based?
A: Solvent Inks are usually oil-based.
Q: How long does solvent ink last?
A: Solvent Ink prints can last five to seven years or more with proper finishing and protective materials.
Q: How do you dispose Solvent ink?
A: Contact your local waste disposal company and arrange for proper ink disposal. Most disposal companies do so in bulk while others reward you with cash back or discounts just for keeping your environment safe.
Q: Solvent ink suppliers for a Large Format Printer?
A: Currently InXave.com provides high quality Large Format Solvent Ink and Wide Format Solvent Ink compatible with the OEM at competitive prices .We provide solvent ink compatible with Mimaki* printers, Mutoh printers ,Roland printers and Oki* Seiko* printers to name a few.
Have any burning ink questions?
Let us know in the comments below and our Ink experts at InXave.com will answer them!!
Check out our Top Solvent Ink
InXave.com is a one stop shop for all your Large Format/Wide Format ink needs. We offer a huge selection of replacement inks for all major brand name manufacturers such as Mimaki*, Roland*, HP*, Mutoh*, Epson*, Oce*, Seiko*, Canon* and more. Our quality and prices can't be beat. Try us out today!
*DISCLAIMER: All logos and company names are trademarks™ or registered® trademarks of their respective holders. Their use does not imply any affiliation with or endorsement by them
Share this post
- 0 comment
- Tags: CJV30, Hard Solvent, InXave, JeTechInk brand, JV33, Mild Solvent, Mimaki, Mimaki BS3, Mimaki Ink, Mimaki Replacement Ink, Mimaki SS21, Solvent Ink, Solvent Ink Bag, Solvent Ink Cartridge, SPC-0667, SPC-501, SS21